Thursday, June 14, 2007

g33k p0st : PWND U! whose your daddy, biatch?!

After two days of sweating under the bright lights, going all trauma center, a good number of beeps, a serious number of hangings, and a multitude restart fest, I managed to fix the sound card of Alphonse, my old PC.

WHOSE YOUR DADDY, BIATCH?

It was my second time tinkering Alphonse for hardware kinks, one was the sudden beeping of the ram (loose card), and this one, an actual operation (goes into massive panic attacks and at the same time a giddy, excited feeling) of replacing the sound card.

As boring as it sounds, it was fascinating. It was like brain surgery and you may cause it's death by unplugging the wrong wires and circuit, one wrong move and it's a goner. A vegetable.

Anyway, I bought a cheap-ass PCI sound card for around 550 php. I got home unscrewed the casing and looked inside.

Dust bunnies were running everywhere, the wires were all a jumbled mess, and I have found my soundcard. A really old, circa 1994 creative sound blaster that didn't have the specific driver that was detected by Win2k or XP, I left that in took the new sound card out of its plastic covering and obviously there was a difference.

my old SC (sound card) was (as I found out earlier this morning) an ISA card. It has two large cartridge teeth, while the new one is a PCI, which is the same card type as a usual LAN card.

So, I plugged it in one of the available slots, booted up and saw it detect the new hardware installed the drivers and a restart was needed.

The party starts here. No sound. Changed the settings to use the new SC, it goes into a hang fest. Tried taking the old SC out, still on a hang fest, Now it just starts up and hangs when the audio control starts up in the system tray. A million of reboots later and a bunch of tinkering in BIOS and Safe Mode, to no avail. New drivers? No effect. Here's what gotten my attention.

When in safe mode, remove the old drivers, ALL the old drivers, be it some random codecs, get it out.

then i added my own shit to the mix, uninstall everything and swapped places with another PCI slot and tried again.

this time I installed it on an OS with a non-existing sound device registered.

I clicked yes to reboot and the familiar windows closing theme sounded at last!

I screwed everything back on and tested it once again after the reboot. And there was music, sweet music!

I love my geeky self. HAHAHAHHA. OWND YOU!. PWND! i r0xx0rs. w00t.

Okay, now I stop being a geek.

No comments: