Tuesday, July 3, 2007

a few good deeds

I was pissed off yesterday for not being able to go home at precisely 4:02pm because we had a meeting that lasted until 5. and the fact I was ambushed by the HR for last minute design changes in the bookmark. I finished all my work at 5:40, got even more pissed to have missed the non-rush hour time.

We were planning to get food at Chowking delivered since it was supposed to be raining hard but decided against it when i suggested we eat at Zhu, the new Chinese place at 32nd Street, plus the rain was just a slight drizzle.

So we were walking on the side street near the back of the HSBC building and not on the usual main road. There was a gray kitten, all scruffy and dirty meowing sadly, I was immediately taken at it's cute little eyes and fur, but another thing caught my eye.

it was a black rounded shape on the concrete street. at first he thought it was a side mirror, I thought it was some rags, but when I got closer, it was actually a wallet.

I picked it up, examined the contents, a health care card, a dlsaa id and a picture. I examined the money inside, a 500 bill + a few more and I stopped looking. On the identification card it read that insert female's name here was working at the HSBC office. So we decided to head over and give the wallet to the front desk. I was also opted to give it to the parking security guards but thought better of it since they don't actually work inside and they might pick up the loose bills. I asked the person managing the back entrance of the HSBC tower.

err, do you have someone named insert female's name here ?
Ok, ma'am, let's go check on the front.

So we were able to tour the first floor of HSBC, we gone through secured, little id-opened entrances that you can ironically jump over, until we reached the front desk.

I repeated the question I asked earlier.

err, do you have someone working here named insert female's name here ?
Oh, yeah, she's from HR.

Well, okay, you see, she dropped her wallet and I was just going to return it.

If you could see their faces, everyone was smiling at us. It was bizarre. The front desk dude asked me to wait in the lounge while they contact her.

I just wanted to leave the wallet and go eat, but no, they had to make me write my name on a piece of paper so they'd know who returned the wallet and stuff.

So after 5 minutes, the guard came in and was telling her:

Here are the kids (me: KIDS?!WTF I'm 22 already!) who returned your wallet.

the girl with her friends came in and she thanked me a million times with the other one commenting how my pants are cute (i was wearing my gray gauchos that day) and even asked me if I wanted a job at HSBC. I laughed and asked if they have IT positions available, gave me her number and we left. After thanking me again for the millionth time.

I do not really know what was all the fuss about. It was obviously the right thing to do. And of course, any decent human being would've done that if we all weren't laced with poverty and temptation...

No comments: